Continuing on with my progress in the “Working In Series” class. I did numerous sketches of fractured circles, split circles, etc. I went looking for photographs of circular things, and walked around with my camera taking pictures of circular things. I printed out some shaded circles from my drawing program. I made some very uninspired sketches and mockups. A few seemed promising, but didn’t get me excited.
Finally, I found some photos of some interesting old circular gears by searching online. I printed out the photos and sliced them up, reassembling them into a collage of sorts. I liked the feel of it and decided to pursue the idea. I am not showing my cut and paste mockup here because the original photos are copyright protected. But I will show you where I went from that mockup.
Here is my first mockup, using a watercolor painted background and some shaded spheres printed out from my drawing program:
You will see the quilt I made from this mockup in a later posting.
I began working on this quilt (I did an earlier post on how I used paint to shade the spheres) but at the same time I was working on variations of the design. Following are a few sketches that I decided show promise. Some of them ended up as quilts, and others are waiting to be developed further.
After these sketches I did some of the designs with turned applique and some with fused raw edge applique. Stay tuned for the finished quilts!
This is a great riff on the circles. I like the direction this is going!
Thanks, Diane! Great to hear from you.